Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Morning Jacket- Evil Urges

My Morning Jacket is probably my favorite band in existance at the moment. Jerry Garcia has passed away, as has Fela Kuti, thus rendering The Grateful Dead and Africa 70 null. Talking Heads don't seem to be reuniting, and for the moment, neither do Phish. Thus it My Morning Jacket it is.

The foundation of my love for all things My Morning Jacket is their performance at Bonnaroo 2004 (which I will post when I can). I was not present, but sometime in 2005 I downloaded their set, and was blown away by it. This was more or less my introduction to My Morning Jacket, and since then I have been a sucker for all live Jacket. While I appreciate the studio stuff, I feel strongly that the transcendent experience of a My Morning Jacket show, is largely missing from studio releases. Such is the nature of studio albums. My appreciation for The Grateful Dead, Talking Heads, and Phish is largely built on this same idea.

It is with this in mind that I approach Evil Urges. Maybe it is a mistake, or maybe it is not true artistic criticism to view the songs in terms of whether or not they will bring the house down, rather than as an expression as an album. I don't know. I really don't care. As I said, the true MMJ experience is in concert.

In a way, this album does not meet expectations, but not in the way, that Easy Tiger or Sky Blue Sky missed expectations last year. I knew Evil Urges would sound much different than Z or It Still Moves, etc., and perhaps because of this I was hoping for something transcendent. This is not easy to accomplish.

Nevertheless, Evil Urges is a very strong album. The title track gives off a weird pop vibe (almost like Lenny Kravitz), but its quirky funk is fun, and yes, it will kill live. The twin tracks "Touch Me (I'm Going To Scream)" part 1 & 2 are both soaring, classic Jacket. Part 2 adds a newer disco-electronica flavor that was mostly unheard in earlier Jacket. "Aluminum Park" is a fun rock-out in the vein of "Lay Low" or "Dancefloors" and will be another highlight of Jacket live shows.

My personal favorites are "I'm Amazed" and "Smokin From Shootin." "I'm Amazed" succeeds in being fun and simple, pop-rock for a new century. Its hard not to smile and sing along to all the joy you find in life, and while it may be somewhat childish in nature, this is what is essential in the song. It isn't supposed to be something re-defining.

"Smokin From Shootin" is probably the best track on the album. The buildup is amazingm and Jim James' vocals are in his classic reverb style. There is no doubt that this will be one of the highlights of future MMJ shows.

I leave "Highly Suspicious" up to personal taste. Its fun and silly, and I have grown to like it. Perhaps music critics take their hobby/job too seriously, and I find nothing wrong with MMJ wanking around in the studio, especially after providing us with so many delectable tracks over the years.

Grade- B