Sunday, May 17, 2009

What Happened?

I went like 10 months without posting, but I am liable to do that. I've had like 16 blogs over the years, and I lost interest in all of them over time. I mean I'd like to keep this one going, but who knows whether that will actually happen.

I have been thinking about embarking on a sort of musical odyssey with this blog in an attempt to realize how I ended up "here" so to speak, listening to Nigerian highlife music. After all, I've never lived anywhere else other than Louisiana, and my traveling outside the United States is limited to a day adventure in Mexico while on spring break in Texas freshman year. I haven't even done much traveling within the US, as I've stuck to the south with the exception of a couple medical visits to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, and a ridiculous 5 days in Los Angeles for spring break junior year.

In other words, there is no real reason for me to love the random sounds I pick up from the digital corners of the globe. My family isn't exactly a multicultural one either- my father was raised in Monroe, Louisiana; and my mother in Baton Rouge. Neither towns are cultural meccas. Granted, I have spent almost my entire life around New Orleans, but this doesn't explain it really either.

As with most things, it is mostly useless to seek to understand the reasons behind why we love something (or someone, for that matter). It is enough to know that you fucking love it, and to just enjoy it. So I let the waves of sound wash over me, the rhythm pumping through my veins, the horns echoing in my brain, the guitars plucking at the corners of my mouth, forming a smile.

Note: Until I work something out to allow me to upload mp3's again, I am going to stick with embedding youtube vids. This one comes from the Nigerian band Super Negro Bantous.

No comments: