Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Guess I Must Be Having Fun

I've always thought haikus were incredibly stupid. However, in the past couple of weeks or so, my mind no longer views the haiku as an excercise in idiocy. This change in mind can be atttributed to my stumbling on the haikus of Matsuo Basho while reading The Snow Leopard by Peter Mathiessen.

In only the lightest of readings of Basho's work I have discovered the appeal of the haiku. Its strength is in its simplicity, and while I may be stating the obvious, I think that has to be underscored. Much of the world's most fascinating features and its greatest joys can be found in its most simple treasures. Basho's poems and writings take a simple approach to these simple joys, and this leaves them touching and poignant.

I am one
Who eats his breakfast,
Gazing at morning glories.


This somewhat loose translation is only eleven words long. And yet, it expresses emotions that can take a lifetime to explain. Basho's haiku brings to mind the joy of waking up to a new day, and savoring the world around you.

There is nothing you can see that is not a flower;
There is nothing you can think that is not the moon.


While this is not a haiku, it serves a similar purpose. The two lines illustrate the beauty and wonder that is found in everyday life.

This may sound rather mushy (I am in love with life, what can I say) or overly-Buddhist (Basho was, and Matthiessen is Buddhist, I am Catholic) or something like that. Nevertheless these are the immediate thoughts that struck me as I read Basho's poems.

They also reminded me of my all-time favorite song. There have been times when I have played "This Must Be The Place (Naiive Melody)" by Talking Heads from the live album Stop Making Sense on repeat for hours at a time.

Like Basho's haikus, "This Must Be the Place" succeeds in its simplicity. The rhythm and melody repeat throughout the song (thus the "Naiive Melody"). David Byrne's lyrics reflect simple contentment. Both piercingly self-aware ("I'm just an animal looking for a home, and share the same space for a minute or two") and ecstatic ("Feet on the ground, head in the sky"), this track reflects the happiness Basho felt in eating his breakfast, looking at flowers, etc.

Monday was my 21st birthday, and I had a nice self-reflection to go along with my last bourbon of the night. Needless to say "This Must Be The Place" was playing in the background. I couldn't help but feel completely happy about my life, and where I was going. Indeed, this must be the place.

I'll compensate for that lame post with a non-lame video:

No comments: