Sunday, July 29, 2007

Camp Lo- In Black Hollywood



Yesterday evening in the midst of spinning the new Camp Lo, "In Black Hollywood," my 13 year old brother hit pause and put on his iPod. I reluctantly allowed him one song before putting the Lo back on. He went ahead and threw on "Sky is the Limit" by Lil Wayne. About halfway through the song I asked, "How the fuck do you actually like this?"

He said, "I dunno, I just do."

With that I went on trashing the beat, the verses, Lil Wayne's vocal style, and Lil Wayne in general. When the song ended I said, "Check it out, best hip hop track of the year so far, '82 Afros' by Camp Lo."

I may have been exaggerating, but "82 Afros" is pretty damn good, and besides it was released last year on Fort Apache. Anyway, Camp Lo's new release sees the duo at the top of their game once again. There has been some pretty good hip-hop released in 07, but nothing that has really grabbed me the way "Posse From the Bronx," "82 Afros," "In Black Hollywood," and "Sweet Claudine" grabbed me immediately.

Camp Lo- In Black Hollywood
Camp Lo- Sweet Claudine

No comments: