Tuesday, July 31, 2007

50 vs. Kanye vs. The Go! Team



September 11th is shaping up to be a big day for the music industry. 50 Cent and Kanye West are both set to release their latest efforts. The two have been chest thumping in the press lately, each vowing to hold steady on their release dates, and both vowing they will top the charts. Also releasing a new album on the 11th is Brighton, England's The Go! Team.

50, while mostly being completely shitty, isn't completely devoid of talent. One day last spring when I was bored out of my mind I actually watched Get Rich Or Die Trying, and... it wasn't terrible. The soundtrack isn't terrible either actually. I mean, there are times when "Window Shopper" is an enjoyable song. I don't have very high hopes for 50's Curtis.

Kanye West is in the unfortunate position of being the least likeable person in the music industry currently. However, as much as I hate to say it, the man can drop some beats. College Dropout was mostly overbearing and annoying, just like Kanye, but did contain the outstanding "Slow Jamz." The song itself isn't that great, but the line "I'm gonna play this Vandross, you gon take your pants off" alone makes College Dropout a decent album. Due to the fact that Kanye is pretty good at beats, Graduation won't be terrible.

The Go! Team's Proof of Youth will be one of the best albums of 2007. I haven't heard any of it except for "Grip Like A Vice," but knowing Ian Parton and co., this one will at least be exciting. Fuck 50 and Kanye, if you want to have fun, throw on some Go! Team.

50 Cent- Window Shopper
Kanye West- Slow Jamz
The Go! Team- Ladyflash
**

Bonus 1: Lily Allen- Nan, You're A Window Shopper
Bonus 2: The Go! Team short documentary:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard some good buzz about the Go! Team's album but have yet to d/l it. In fact I've never heard anything by them.

Also, I'm setting low expectations for Graduation. College Dropout was superb, Late Registration was okay, and after hearing his song sampling Daft Punk, I just don't want to get my hopes up.